Alnmouth was once a busy port in the estuary of
the River Aln, but nowadays the harbour is an anchorage for small
pleasure craft and fishing boats.
In the 18th century some shipbuilding took place on
the river. Grain and other cargo was shipped between Alnmouth and
London - a new road was built to Alnmouth to serve this trade.
In 1806 there was a huge storm on the Northumberland
Coast which altered the course of the River Aln to that which it
takes today. The new course was much shallower and became difficult
for ships to use, so the port declined after that. The old course
of the river can still be seen around the back of Church Hill, which
is now a creek that fills at high tides.
Today Alnmouth is a very popular destination for tourists
and locals with it's fine beach and golf course.
View from "Church Hill"
View along the river wall.
The east Coast main railway line
Boats on the banks of the River
Alnmouth Harbour - River Aln Estuary.
© Copyright - All photos on
this website are subject to copyright and may not be reproduced
on any website or in print without prior permission. To use any
photo please use the enquiry form at les-bell.com